Repair or Replace your Heating & Air Conditioning – How Do You Know?
Deciding to repair or replace your Heating & Air Conditioning system can be one of the most difficult decisions to make as a homeowner. Replacing your air conditioner or furnace can be a significant investment. However, continually spending money to repair your existing system can end up costing you a fortune, money that you can spend on new, energy-efficient equipment instead.
Consider the following factors to best weigh your repair-to-replace decision:
- AC units and heat pumps typically last 10 to 12 years, while furnaces can last up to 20 years.
- You may not be benefiting from smart features or increased efficiencies with your current system. New, high-efficiency units mean lower energy usage and utility costs.
- According to Consumer Reports, if your repair costs exceed a certain percentage of the cost of a new system, you should replace your equipment.
- You may also benefit from tax credits and utility rebates when you buy a new AC unit or furnace.
- Home improvements, such as new windows and a new roof, can increase your home’s comfort system, which means you may be able to downgrade to a smaller heating and cooling system.
- Upgrading to a new Energy Star® system will help lower your carbon footprint.
- If you sense that your AC unit just isn’t cooling your home fast enough, or your furnace is making strange noises every time you power it on, it may be time to invest in a new unit.
Still not sure which option is best for your needs? Have a professional Heating & Air Conditioning technician perform an onsite evaluation and explain your options to help you make an informed decision.
Contact Mar-Hy Distributor today at (503) 353-0100. You can also use our online form if you have questions about repairing or replacing your heating or cooling system, and we will get back to you soon.